Re: Getting to the people with the power

> And why do we want to tell new people that they aren't welcome, by
> saying "Hey, you're not one of us, so we're going to make you pay
> extra?"

I never once felt "not welcome" because I wasn't an AERC member, whether
on Ridecamp or at a ride. I tried to pay a non-member fee to my first LD
but was given back the money.  It is SOP in most any sport and/or any
hobby and/or any professional association that individuals participating
in a sanctioned/regulated activity who are not members of the sponsoring
organization pay an additional non-member fee to participate in the
activity. What AERC is doing here is not the least bit unusual! IMO,
extending the non-member fee from 50s and 100s to 25-35 LDs is right and
reasonable, since virtually all conditions are the same for the riders.

> Just some reasons that I do *not* think it's right to force others to
> pay more so that I can pay less.

While I respect your opinion, I don't grasp your logic.  No matter how I
look at it, the numbers do not add up to non-members paying *more* than I
do, and I don't believe that you are adequately considering the larger
picture of how most sport/hobby/professional organizations operate.

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL
AERC # M18819 & H27310
SE Region