Fwd: Getting to the people with the power

In a message dated 12/2/98 8:33:03 AM Pacific Standard Time, jlong@mti.net
writes:

<< So, why do you want others to pay more so that you don't have to pay
 as much?  Do you *really* think that's right?

I think Am Ex has the right slogan - it seems to fit - "membership has its
privileges". In other words, ultimately, the existence and continuence is
primarily on the backs of the members. A few people benefit more than even the
vast majority of MEMBERS, what with Regiional and National Awards, etc. Some
regions - ours is one - is blessed with many rides due to excellent weather.
So...we all pay into AERC to keep the organization available to the
membership. As with any other "club" type entity, being a member does and
should have some benefit. Certainly, that doe snot open the door for huge non-
members fees, but charging a participation fee at an event to a non-dues-
paying members is not unfair - it is reality - and in our opinion, it is fair.
Just for comparison, go check out the fees one pays to attend a horse show if
one is not a member of the managing body. Even local ETI, Pony Club and non-
rated SHOWS charge a fee - $5 or more - for non-membership. Why should AERC be
any different? BEfore we joined, we showed regularly for years, and while we
didn't care for the extra fees, we DID eventually join several groups not only
to eliminate those fees, but because we were then drawn to those groups.

I agree with one of the other posts today - seems though having a horse costs
enough, and to participate adds to those costs, but we are fortunate indeed to
even be ABLE to. PErsonally, I think that those who choose NOT to be members
have no room to gripe. Kind of like poop or get off the pot. For $5 or $10 a
ride a few tiems a year - which is about what we are able to compete, it is at
least close to worth being a member, but mostly we are members to SUPPORT AERC
so that we can continue to HAVE rides at all. It is a privilege for non-
members to participate, and while it is wonderful to have them - always -
don't gripe about the fee. We didn't. Just don't go to any shows - they will
rake you fo rnon-members fees in eccess of $35 per show! Then there is the
office fee $15Program fee $20....the stable management fee.....
san

---- Begin included message ----

--

Joe Long