Re: stall runner

Dear Carl,
     Janet Del Castillo, who trains racehorses in Florida and campaigned the
multi-stakes winner First Prediction, absolutely disagrees with the idea that
turning a horse who is in race training out interferes with that training.
Her racehorses . . . yes, even the ones in training, are turned out every day,
and she races off of her farm, hauling in to the track the night before a
race.  She also vigorously disagrees witht the standard practice of keeping
racehorses in stalls 23 and 1/2 hours out of every 24.  She says that the more
"natural" of a lifestyle you can provide for your horses, the happier and
sounder they will be.  Being ridden on trails is a part of her racehorse's
training routine. And yes, she also says that daily turnout does seem to do
wonders for high-strung, "stall walker" type horses.  It helps them mentally,
it helps them physically.  It also gives them a better chance of retiring from
the track as sound, healthy horses, able to go on to other careers and lead
long and happy lives.  Of course, this last advantage doesn't much matter if
one looks at their animals strictly as expendable, money making machines.
   Del Castillo's book, "Backyard Racehorse," while geared to preparing a
horse for flat racing, rather than endurance, is full of lots and lots of
plain, good old horse-sense in regards to caring for a performance animal, and
is an interesting and worthwhile read for anyone involved in any athletic
horse endeavor, imo.
    BTW, David, my arab whom I hope to do endurance on, is an ex-track racer,
and I can say from experience that the typical track routine of stall-
confinement for 23 and 1/2 hrs a day, with a few minutes of track breezing or
hot-walking his only means of real activity, didn't do much  for him or his
nerves.

Trish & pretty David, TNG
Grand Blanc, Michigan

<< carl meyer wrote:

 > Carl writes;
 > I am on both ends of the racehorse business and turning out costs the
 > owner a lot of money(me,for instance),one reason to make some kind of a
 > tentative diagnosis . You realize that turning out a horse that is
 > racing can lose for the owner up to three or four months of training
 > bills,

 Ok, call me stupid, but I can't see how turning a horse out in a small
 paddock during the day is going to make him "loose" his training?  Or is
 it necessary to keep him wound up and nervous in a stall to make him run
 well?

 tracy >>