Tripping

I'd like to hear more views about this horse tripping issue and whether
or not to pull up on the reins.  Years ago, when I was taking riding
lessons at a hunter-jumper facility, I was told to pull a horses head up
when it tripped or, as my mare tended to do, dive at a fence.  Yes, I was
told this was the way to keep your horse from falling.  Since then, it
has become what I naturally tend to do when my horse trips and I'm riding
down the trail.  But Jim Mitchell's argument from and
"biomechanical" standpoint makes sense to me.  Now I'm wondering if I can
break the pull up on the reins habit...  Any other views?

Mary Abbott
Grass Valley, CA