Fwd: Helmets

In a message dated 11/20/98 10:08:11 PM EST, Teddy@runningbear.com writes:

<< Don't mandate our freedoms away from us...we are losing too much already.

Where did this come from???? No one mentioned mandating anything! I personally
started wearing seatbelts BEFORE it was mandated because I didn't want to feel
like I was MADE to wear it. I never want to be MADE to wear a helmet, but I do
choose to wear it. BTW, I agree whole heartedly, we do not want or need more
rules! Leigh

---- Begin included message ----
Say, Angie, would you scrape up someone with a broken leg?  The helmet sure
didn't do anything to help prevent that!!!!

I, for one, would LOVE to have the honor of dying on trail (if need be).  It
is better than being a vegetable or being like Christopher Reeves.  If I
can't ride, I don't even want to BE here!!!

Oh, how about heat stroke?  I am one of those people who get heat stroke from
wearing a helmet....you are still going to have to cart me off the trail, one
way or the other (or bury me where I lay).

It is still MY choice.  After all, MY wearing a seat belt does NOT save YOU
from being killed or maimed.

These kind of "protectionist" rules are designed to protect people from their
own ignorance. I'd rather take 5 years of dressage and acrobatic lessons to
learn how to fall and how to ride better than wear a helmet (and I
HAVE!!!)...and in more than 25 years and 6000 miles in competition, I have
NEVER been hurt (and I DO gallop horses)

Don't mandate our freedoms away from us...we are losing too much already.

Teddy

---- End included message ----