US Horses for other teams - living vicariously ;^)

Hi Steve,
A three part answer to your two part post!

>I have heard that Jazon Wonders and Chuck Stalley are providing horses
>to the Mexican Team for Dubai. Are there any other American horses going
>"over" for other countries?

1. Yes other American horses are going to Dubai for other teams:
I believe we have three very good horses, but because of
a variety of reasons (a tough selection process (so much talent here!), a change in
eligibility for resedent aliens competing for the US, time constraints
for rider qualification) we have leased  our three horses to Team Brasil.
The horses are On-a-High, Tof al Rumson, and Fadjurs, all good horses all
with good or great records.

>It would be interesting if an American horse places better than one of
>our team, though I can't believe that one of these non-endurance
>ride countries have such a skilled rider.

2. Skilled Riders:
We are also very fortunate in that the Brasilian riders to whom we are entrusting
our "boyz" are top notch riders, Lica da Rocha Leao, currently fourth
in the world (Savaq/Kansas), Ariel Adjiman, currently 18th in the
Pan American Championships, and Leo Steinbruch, who has represented the Brasilian
team in several internationals including Qatar.Riders on Brasilian horses include
Zeso Marino (second in the World Nature Games), Enrique Garcia, and Guillerme
Parra, all with considerable experience in the sport.

3. Non-endurance countries:
NIH syndrome seems to be prevalent in the US. There are many countries
in the world with experienced riders and have endurance rides in their native
lands. I would be very careful to underestimate anyone or any horse from any country.
Some interesting facts for Brasil/Brasilian Endurance include:
* Brasil was fourth over all in the North American Championships.
* Endurance is a very serious endeavour in Brasil.
* I have found the Brasilians to be professional, sportsmanlike and dedicated to the sport.
 Endurance has only existed there for perhaps 11 years, but if their success in the
World Games in jumping is anything to go by, I'd keep my eye on this up-and-coming,
experienced, spirited team, and certainly would never consider Brasil a "non-endurance" country.

We should seriously consider importing some of their traditions at rides such as
shaking hands with the vets and smiling, and a really good after ride party complete
with Brasilian country songs, lots of beer and caipirinhas, and great cameraderie.

Dom

Dominique Freeman              |  "Life is short, science is long"   |
fadjurs@sadandy.hpl.hp.com     |                                     |
Hewlett Packard Laboratories,  |                                     |
Palo Alto, CA USA              |                                     |
Phone: (650) 857-8596          |                                     |
FAX: (650) 857-2862            |                                     |