Re: Strongid C and rain slickers

Hi Paula,

I just attended a talk at the Equine Affaire in W. Springfield, MA and Dr.
Robert Dressler, DVM, a vet specializing in parasitology, from Pffizer,
talked about fecal egg counts, misconceptions about parasites, and how to
treat them.( Pffizer is the company that produces Strongid C.)  He showed a
lot of results from research done on many types of wormers, and results
showed that a triple dose of sprongid paste or Stongid C granules daily,
plus twice yearly ivermectin, was the  treatment that killed the highest %
of parasites including small strongles and tapeworms. In the NE. tapes are
a concern and he showed ulceration that can be formed inside the intestine
from them. I was very sceptical about Stongid granules and  the  daily
worming program before this talk but I am convinced now. My question in
going was whether I should, rotate wormers. The answer was yes because none
of the anthelmintics on the market cover all parasites. My 2nd question was
whether I should use moxidectin(Quest)along with ivermectin. The answer was
no. Quest covers the same parasites as ivermectin.

There is quite abit of discussion in the archives about Strongid C also.
Hope this helps!

Pam in MA