Re: Mag. ox.

Becky Hackworth wrote:

> Well, Mag Sulfate is used in pregnant women to aleviate "toxemia".  One
> of the signs/symptoms is hyper-reflexes...progresses to seisures if not
> treated.
>
> The Magnesium relaxes, but it also binds with Calcium, thus depleting
> the body, it also interferes with potassium functining.
>
> Small doses might be ok, but I sure wouldn't use it on race day.

Absorption, utilization, etc is different between humans and horses.
The symptoms of hypomagnesemia are similar in both species (convulsions,
tetany, seizures, all that bad stuff) but excess magnesium isn't likely
to be a problem in horses.  I'm just not sure it'll calm down a hyper
horse, but I promise I won't start foaming at the mouth if anyone tries
it.;-)

Susan G