Re: Mag. ox.

VMAXEPT Roger Rittenhouse wrote:

> i heard of this.. a person in VA is marketing a mag oxide product to
> help keep horses calmn.. not sure why it works  suggests to me a mineral
> in balance.
> i will ask jim helfter of abc about this -- i did talk with him one time
> about this..
> i would be cautious of feeding a mineral in the feed in large amts.. not
> sure what Mg binds with or interacts with..

Magnesium fed at really, really high levels hasn't caused a problem in
clinical trials.  Excessive magnesium will increase calcium absorption,
but in most cases this won't cause a problem unless calcium in the diet
is already excessive (like in a straight alfalfa diet).  It's more
likely that other mineral imbalances will inhibit absorption/utilization
of magnesium, causing hypomagnesemia, which *can* be a Bad Thing.  So,
feeding an ounce of MgO isn't going to cause any problems, I'm just not
sure it will *solve* any, but more power to anyone who wants to try.

> i would try it free choice though and see if the horse takes it up..

I have my doubt that horses will eat it voluntarily if left out.  Mg
isn't one of the minerals that horses will develop a "hunger" for even
if deficient, and it tastes really nasty---to the point that if much of
it's mixed into the feed, alot of animals will turn their noses up at
it, including COWS and those buggers will eat ANYTHING.

Seeya,

Susan G