Re: Horse Height

When we were collecting data at Tevis, we sure saw alot of big horses
that did very well (including that 16.2 mule Ruby that won Haggin Cup
this year).  And historically, there have been plenty of big horses that
have done high mileage, won numerous races, won BC, etc. etc.  However,
now that we have a larger database, we're possibly starting to see a
trend that larger horses are more prone to lameness problems, not
because of rider weight or anything like that, but because of the extra
body weight that comes with a taller frame.  The big horses that did
well all had excellent bone in excess of 8" circumference.  Ruby has a
cannon bone around 8 3/8" if memory serves, the biggest I measured.

So, just based on the data we've analyzed, I'd say big horses certainly
can do well if they have the bone to back up the extra body mass.  If
that big body has light bone, well, he may not do as well.

Good luck!  My 2 1/2 year old Karahty colt is 15.3, so maybe we can ride
together in the future and fret about our kids.  My motto is gonna be,
"If you can't beat 'em---trample 'em.":-D

Susan G