Flex supplement for a geriatric

Does anyone have experience or first hand knowledge of supplements that aid in
lubricating joints and  helping cartilage for aging (23 y.o.) horses?

My old mare is overweight (pituitary problems) and I am very worried about her
joints and hooves handling over 200 lbs. extra weight.  All her ankles sound
like a cereal with all their snaps, crackles, and pops.   I want to ward off
arthritis pain, etc. if at all possible.

Looking in the Jeffer's catalog there are lots of products with claims, but
who knows what will really help?

Ellen and Ol' Secret