Re: Electrolytes and dehydrated horses

Hi Karen,
Thanks for responding.

>I know some vets recommend feeding a nice sloppy bran mash two or three
>times a week during the winter.  I would recommend trying soaked beet pulp.
> I would also offer free choice salt to the horses.  I place a cup or two a
>week in the bottom of their feed bins and they (2 horses) generally go thru
>two 20 pound bags of salt per year.  I also give them the choice between
>plain white salt, and salt with minerals.

Of course you know I tried the feed stores around here and they cannot get
beet pulp and we're about 2-1/2 hours drive from Phoenix and 2 hours drive
from Vegas but they can't get it from their suppliers.  I have another feed
store working on it.  I will tell her about the salt.

She has the horses in stalls (mare motel) and each one has a half bucket (15
gal of water) which gets changed every day.  Not enough room for a stock
tank heater.

>This may sound strange, but if your friend is feeding psyllium with lots of
>bran, that could be enough to cause the horse to be upset.  My horses
>seemed to be sluggish and get soft stools when I fed bran, so now I mostly
>use beet pulp.

She had not fed psyllium until the vet recommended it after the first colic.
After that episode she stopped feeding psyllium and I guess it was in the
fall when the weather turned the mare colicked again.  She has been taken
off the psyllium again and now just as the weather has turned she was put
back on the psyllium and has not colicked this time.

>Before adding any additional supplements, or even electrolytes, it might be
>worthwhile to discuss this with your veterinarian.

Yes, this is an excellent idea as we have a new vet in town who seems to be
much more up on things like this.  Thanks for your help Karen.  I will
forward this on to my friend.

Janet Baca