Re: Question re Dodge trucks

(My wife Deb)LaBerge wrote:

> Hi you guys. I need some truck advice. Could someone who has a Dodge Ram
> Charger 2500 4wd 3/4 ton w/ Cummins diesel please email me and tell me
> what they like/don't like about theirs and how much trailer they are
> hauling. Friends may be selling their 1996 model with 40,000 miles on it

And we got 22 private replies within a few days. A few folks asked us to
share the results, so here goes. Disclaimer: this is a highly unscientific
survey and your results, likes and dislikes may vary.
Of those replying who owned a similar vehicle, 19 liked or loved theirs
and one hated it.
Trailers pulled were generally 3 horse and up and in the 7,000 to 10,000lb.
range. Several stock trailers and one 40ft. rig was mentioned.
Many of the respondents commented on the massive power of the engine and
ability to haul easily over mountains.
Good relative gas mileage was mentioned frequently. The mean average was
12 MPG hauling a trailer and 20 MPG without trailer.
Six people mentioned that they preferred the 4:10 gear ratio for hauling.
Here are some individual positive comments:
- rides like a car
- sharper turning ratio than Ford.
- hauls over Donner Pass no problem.
- should get 200,000+ miles.
Negative comments:
- transmission problems prior to 1996.
- wider turning ratio than Ford.
- fuel tank float conks out.
- high truck bed caused problems getting trailer leveled.
- more shifting required with low gear ratio.

Take what you want from this and leave the rest.
I'm pretty sure we're gonna get one...as soon as we hit the lottery.
Thanks to all who replied.

Pete LaBerge