Re: Sports saddle - sore knees

At 08:17 AM 10/23/98 -0400, you wrote:
Hi Margaret -

Yes, yes, yes!  The youth cut worked for me. I am 5'6" also, but only about
1/3 of that is
legs.  My husband loved that saddle anyway, so he took it over, I ordered
another with
the youth cut option - it is perfect.  I have my stirrups set in the normal
position.  I rode
in one with the stirrups set back, my knees felt more stressed, so I
decided to stick
with the normal placement.  I think the freedom of the leg movement seems
to be the
key if you have short legs & not-so-good knees.  My dressage saddle didn't
hurt my
knees either.

Good luck, when you get it right you'll love it along with your horse.

>I too have 'been struggling to find the perfect saddle, and have noticed
that my horse definitely prefers the SportsSaddle.  However, my knees don't.

>I noticed that Sports Saddle offers a youth cut option that is designed
for riders under 5'3" or those that want greater freedom of movement in
their stirrups.  I'm 5'6"; but was wondering if anyone had experience with
this modification and what their experiences are regarding freedom of leg
movement.  (My dressage saddle doesn't hurt me at all.)

>Similarly, I was wondering if I could get feedback on a 1" setback on
stirrup leather placement and whether the saddle felt more balanced or
knees less stressed.

>You can email privately at mthompso@SAMHSA.gov.
>Thanks for your help.

***
              ~~   ^ ^       Jude Hall
~~~\   _  ~~/ /\ /      & Kentucky Redbud (Racking Horse)
       ( )__     ) ' '       Denison University
  __ //     __\\            Dept. of Biology
*       /     *     \	Granville, Ohio