Re: AERC rules and radios

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 09:14:56 -0400, Truman Prevatt
<truman.prevatt@netsrq.com> wrote:

>By using radios a rider can collect valuable intelligence on the other riders
>from observers stationed along the course. .  Which this could be data could be
>attained by talking to the crew at vet checks, the radio link provides it much
>more timely.  I would agree that this would be a definite advantage and would
>asist and cue the rider

I must say, Truman, this goes against my own personal experience.
I've been a licensed ham radio operator since before I saw my first
endurance ride ... in fact, that's how I discovered endurance riding,
as a volunteer providing communications for ride management.

In some of my early rides, I carried a radio.  But as I became more
competitive and began running hard for First Place, I stopped carrying
a radio.  Because the extra encumberance was more trouble than it was
worth!  The earlier information I could gain by it wasn't worth the
trouble of carrying it, getting it out, talking over it, all while
trying to ride.  I haven't carried one on a ride for many years.

I seems to me that too many people are afraid that someone else is
getting an edge -- and take the view that "If I don't use it, ban it!"
No radio can make a horse go faster than he's able.  I say it's a
non-problem, let it alone.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net