Re: Scurf

Kristen L Olko wrote:

> Isn't that what they call the flaky skin under the saddle pad after a
> ride?
> What causes it and what can I do to minimize it?

You are seeing friction causing abrasion of the top layer of skin.  It flakes
off several days after it is abraided.  Another possibility is a contact
dermatitis (allergic skin reaction) to something that goes on her back (?new
pad, soap in the pad, new fly spray, new grooming tools or shampoo?)

> I ride in a SS with a Skito pad.
> The girth is loose, so I believe the saddle moves around a little . Could
> this be it? Or, she wasn't really clean before the ride.

It could be residual dirt in her coat, but it is hard to really get the fine
dust off with a brush when they start growing a dense winter coat.  You might
try using a horse vacuum to see if it makes a difference.  If the saddle is
shimmying about, you may want to tighten the girth a bit to see if it
improves things (without cutting her in half).  Be sure that the pad is
squeaky clean.  We soak the pads, then run them through the washer on double
rinse without ANY soap.  They come out clean (though not snowy white like
when they were new).  Lastly, is the pad a synthetic or wool?  I've had
problems with synthetic pads iritating a horse with sensitive skin.  Her
problems disappeared with a wool pad (Toklat Woolback).

Good luck!

Linda Flemmer