A strange problem

I have a four going on five Kemosabi x Bay Sha gelding that was given to me
in a trade. I first noticed  on his right side of his head below the ear (
where the bridle  brow band may lie)  an oozing that left his hair matted.
I had the vet out for something else and asked him to look at it. He was
very intrested and asked to shave the area. When he shaved it it became
apparent that there were stitches that ran from just in front of the ear
down along to the bottom to below the ear. Approx four to five inches in
length. He said that it was another fetus ( twin ) that some how didn't
develop and was surgically removed when he was a foal. He said that often
the tumors / growths when opened contained hair and teeth. He said that
cases like this he usually sent to Davis because it is hard to remove all
the tissue. My questions: Has anyone heard of something like this?  Also Is
the fact that there is still fluid ( granted a very small amount and not
alll the time) seeping a problem for this horse? And what is this fluid?
The vet didn't seem very concerned but thought it was intresting.
If this is something others would like to hear about please post openly or
other wise email me privately.
Thank you
Mary Anne Maynard