Re: IRS - AERC Bylaw Change

I can tell you from direct experience, having been inside the books of 100+
companies (as a software developer, not as an accountant), that there is a
distinction between how companies view contributory funds and advertising
dollars.

Advertising comes from budgeted expense accounts and is spent SOLELY to
generate revenue for the company.  Thus the company that sponsors an event
by purchasing advertising (directly or indirectly) is intending that the
advertising bring new customers and revenue to their doorstep.

Contributions, on the other hand, can come only from the pool of profit
dollars in the company's coffers.  Put another way, a company that is
breaking even or losing money will not tend to be donating cash or goods to
another entity.  A company that is doing extremely well has many incentives
to donate to non-profits - the implied goodwill, the assistance to local
infrastructures, and yes, the reduction of corporate taxes.

I know for a fact that Microsoft donates millions of dollars in software and
cash every year.  This is not advertising expense, these are donations to
qualified entities, SOME of which are not 501C3 organizations, like public
schools.  You can rest assured that all of these contributions are deducted
at tax time, so unless the AERC is classifying itself as a public school, it
will attract far more discretionary funds by retaining 501C3 status, in my
opinion.

Mike Sofen
Seattle, WA