Re: IRS - AERC Bylaw Change

In every company I have worked - and with merger mania in the defense
sector there have been a quite a few years without ever leaving my
office - views advertising as an investment as Mike states.  They expect
a return on that investment.  Advertising budgets are established at the
begining of the year and tracked by the bean counters with great care.
If there is no return on the investment then those funds are spent
differently the next year.

When the profit goals are made then the "play money" is used for
contributions.  This is usually not a hard and fast budgeted item and
comes from a different pot than the advertising money.  There is not the
same hard fast cold return on investment critera applied to
contributions as applied to contributions.

One way to think of this is the Cosequin Challange which most likely
came out of NutraMax's advertising budget.  I would assume some bean
counter at NutraMax is going to be trying to find a return for the
investment.  If the money invested doesn't add up to increased revenue,
then they will probably go elsewhere with that portion of the
advertising budget next year.

On the other hand I would be surprised if the donations for the national
championship rides weren't mostly contributions to help a 501C3.

I believe Mike is absolutely correct about being able to attract more
discretionary funds by retaining the 501C3 status.

--
Truman Prevatt
Mystic “The Horse from Hell” Storm

Brooksville, FL