Re: Subject: Re: Original WEG Longlist

In a message dated 98-10-01 14:29:38 EDT, PLOUGH1@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< *From Kimberly,
 ** ok, so who decides the short list?>>

A group of selectors from all around the country has been observing the long
list horses all year, collecting BC sheets, getting comments from ride vets,
etc., and conferring with each other.

<< **  How many of these dropped because of the horses?
 I know of at least one. (but the horse did it to himself!)>>

I'm not sure how many exactly, but a small handful have--not as many as usual,
which says a lot for the caliber of our long list riders.

<< To get to
 the top, you REALLY have to ride these horses.  Look at the rides they
 completed this year...and who won BC.>>

Yep.  But the goal is for them not to beat themselves up throughout the year,
as they will hopefully "peak" for the "big event" in Dubai.

<< **Who will be back next year?>>

One never knows, but I imagine several will be.

<<***Who is back from last year?>>

Several.  Shirley Delsart won the Gold at the Pan Am last year.  Ona Lawrence
is riding a different horse than the one she was 4th with at Pan Am, but the
one she was riding was high on last year's alternate list.  Patti Pizzo is
back.  Darla Westlake was very comfortably in the lead at last year's Pan Am
when Rams Z ran a stick into his pastern; judging from his performance so far
this year, he is completely recovered.  Valerie Kanavy is on a different
horse, but has done well with this one.  I THINK Wendy M. is new.  First
alternate Melissa Crain is back.

<< *wow, how do those horses take the flight across seas?>>

About like a long trailer ride.  They will get a short break between flights
in Europe, so it will be like two 8 or 9 hour hauls in a horse trailer with a
few hours in between.  Some handle it better than others, but hopefully the
ability to travel a distance prior to competing is something that the
selectors have taken into account.

<< *and, can you go to this race without being on a team?
 *if so, how many people can race? >>

You can't ride without being on a squad for a particular country, but you can
certainly go to crew!  Several of us plan to do that.  Just crewing for a
continental or world championship is a great experience.  If you are
interested in being part of the USA Support Team, contact Lori Stewart
(chairman of AERC International) or Mary Lutz (USET).

Hope this helps to answer your questions.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)