ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Night Riding

Re: Night Riding

Reynolds (jakar@aiinc.com)
Mon, 22 Sep 1997 18:52:54 -0700

Joyce Kellenberger wrote:
> Is there a veterinary-type person who can tell me what happens to the
> horse's eyes when light is introduced in this environment? Also, any
> shared night experiences would be welcomed.

I'd be interested in knowing about horses' night vision also. Horses'
eyes work differently than ours with their sloped retinas, oval pupils
with little "fingers" in them, and some kind of special membrane that
night foraging animals have that makes their eyes appear to glow when
light hits them at night.
My night excursions are done very carefully as I have to go two and a
half miles down the side of a road to get out to the desert to really
ride. (no trailer} No matter how much I go out to scout the side of
the road and pick up trash, SOME IDIOT always throws a bottle out for
Jakar to kick in the dark! Rrrrrr!!!!
Good Luck, Nikki