ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Night Riding

Re: Night Riding

Bob Wilson (bobwilson@pe.net)
Mon, 22 Sep 1997 22:44:24 -0700

Joyce Kellenberger wrote:

> Just starting doing some night riding in preparation for 100's in the future.
> I am amazed by the sureness with which my mare travels in the pitch dark.
> Occasionally I will turn on a flashlight for my own visibility and then
> shut it off once assured. Can anyone tell me how this affects the horse's
> vision?

Joyce. When you turn on the white light you destroy your night vision
and it takes 15 minutes to 1/2 hour to get it back.

You might want to try the astronomer's trick. Cover the flashlight lens
with a red filter of some kind (red celophane works). Once your eyes
are adapted to the dark the red light should be more than enough to see
by, and the red does not destroy your night vision.

Bob Wilson and Blue