ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Base milage before training

Re: Base milage before training

Linda H VanCeylon (lindavan.eqath@juno.com)
Tue, 15 Apr 1997 08:56:04 PST

Hi Alan,

I think about any horse can go out and do a 25 miler, if you ride the
proper pace. With AERC rules, you need to be able to sustain amout a 5
mph pace in order to finish in the alloted time. HOWEVER, if you can't
sustain that pace, no big deal just take longer. A 25 mile LD is just a
training ride anyway. The whole point is to ride the ride at the pace
your horse is conditioned to deliver.

On Mon, 14 Apr 1997 11:00:10 -0700 "dli-adf" <dli-adf@transport.com>
writes:
>I keep reading how important a base is prior to entering an endurance
>ride,
>but no one mentions how many miles is a good base.

Doing an LD ride, at a pace you have conditioned to deliver, is what I
consider "putting on base". For that matter, doing any distance at a
pace you have conditioned to deliver is "putting on base".

>Is it a 1000 miles
>at
>3-5 mph? Isty and I have been on the trails for about 150 hours at a
>pace
>of 3-5 mph (walk, slow trot, minimal canter 1/4 to 1/2 mile per ride).
> Now
>that spring is here again we are putting in about 8 hrs. per week in 3
>or 4
>rides.

If you are training at a particular pace, and you are considering doing a
longer distance, you should slow the pace down just a little so you don't
overstress on distance.

> Is it important that we have a long (10-15 mile) ride once a
>week
>or is it total miles that are more important.

It helps to do a longer ride every week. But if you are just planning a
25 it shouldn't matter that much which way you do it.

>I would like to enter into a 25 miler this year if we could get it
>done at
>our current mph.

Just do it. You don't have to wait. Do it now!

>I have read about LSD, IT, aerobitc and anaerobic conditioning but I
>don't
>know if we have enough of a base on yet for it to even matter.

LSD is putting on base. An LD ride can be putting on base if you ride
the proper pace.

> Great
>information but for later I'm thinking. Wanting to go, go, go but
>will not
>damage my mare due to impatience.

When you feel like you want to ride a 25 miler fast. DON'T! Just bump
up to a 50-miler and ride slow. Then, once you've done that 4-5 times,
you will notice your pace is getting faster and more effortless. (If
you've kept doing your homework). If all is going well at that point,
you both should have learned enough to know what to do next.

Linda VanCeylon & crew
Buhni, Sunny, Rabbit, & Fiddler
lindavan.eqath@juno.com