ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: Cracked Corn and whole oats

Re: Cracked Corn and whole oats

Susan F. Evans (suendavid@worldnet.att.net)
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 14:26:48 -0700

Hi Bob, et al...

> Oats are not easy to digest because of the hull structure. Therefore you
> should at least have "crimped oats".

Thought you might be interested, there was some work done in the past
few years (published in ENPS) that reported that the digestibility was
the same in oats whether they were whole or processed (crimped, rolled,
etc). Since (as you later mention) exposing the germ to air decreases
shelf life before oxidizing sets in, I'd suggest feeding whole oats over
processed oats. However, I agree with you in oats vs. barley---the TDN
in barley is higher, and while you're at it, the micromineral balance is
a little better as well. However, the same work (verified by other
studies, also published in ENPS if anyone wants to read it) found that
barley IS better digested when processed, and the same is true for corn.
So oats can be fed whole, but corn and barley should be processed for
maximum digestibility. I think the increase was statistically
significant, but honestly don't remember if it was enough of a
difference to hike it out of the Splitting Hairs category :->. Me, if I
can find a reason to feed whole grains whenever possible (to avoid
oxidation), I'll take it.

I agree with you that good results can be still be had whether the grain
is processed or whole (lest anyone think I'm predicting the Falling Off
of Ears or the End of the World As We Know It), but I would think that
chewing and nibbling instincts would be better satisfied by access to
pasture/hay? Since your guys are all out on pasture, are you seeing any
behavior that would suggest additional need to chew? My other thought
is, aren't some of your horses getting up there in years? Do you find
that any older horses (say, 20 years old or more) are able to maintain
weight equally as well on whole corn as processed feeds? My reason for
asking is we have plenty of retirees at Cal Poly and their teeth are
often quite worn down, making it harder for them to chew hard
feeds adequately. They maintain weight on oats, but would be interested
in your experience feeding whole corn to the pensioners.

Thank you thank you thank you for pointing out again about feeding by
weight, not volume. I agree with you, alot of people miss this. Most
people realize that a scoop of bran weighs less than a scoop of corn,
but alot don't realize there are big differences in nutrition between
ALL the feeds on a volume basis.

Susan Evans

Bob Morris wrote:
. Therefore you
> should at least have "crimped oats". But with rolled barley at the same
> price why not go to the grain with the greater total digestible nutrient
> content?

You mentioned cracked corn, but why crack the corn and have a