ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: rim shoes

Re: rim shoes

Gwen Dluehosh (dluehosh@vt.edu)
Sun, 13 Apr 1997 14:41:58 +0600

Hi I thought I would try to help too...

Rim shoes DO allow slide- that's why I use them. I am an amateur farrier,
trained at the KY Horseshoeing School.
I like web shoes too , but I don't think they should be used on pavement or
in places where horses need a grip. I too agree with the roll over that you
need on these horses- they are after all athletes, and it would pretty
interesting to run a race horse in wide web shoes. This is not an attack,
but in this case, you might ought to let your farrier help you out a bit and
see how it works... I tmay be different in different horses. I notice a big
difference between regular shoes and polos...
Wide webs are going to be heavier- the polos/rims are more like a racing
plate but are not aluminum. THey may wear out faster, but I think that there
are some endurance horses who aren't shod often enough, so this might be a
good way to stay on a decent schedule. I know I have seen many long toes.

At 01:16 PM 4/13/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Bob:
>
>Thanks for your very informative note concerning forward slide vs. rim
>shoes. It's true that most farriers don't really understand our sport,
>though they think they do. However, this new farrier that I have seems
>to be very good--really takes pride in his work and likes to keep the
>feet natural. He likes the rim shoes because of the rolled toe--says if
>you roll or rock the toe of a regular plate, then you have to take off
>some foot for it to fit properly. I've always liked rolled toes to make
>breakover easier, but I'm not sure I want to increase grip.
>
>Have you ever compared the sliding distance of bare feet to shod feet?
>I would think that flat plates would cause an unnatural increase. Do
>you think rim shoes allow even less slide than bare feet? Does your
>farrier make the wide web shoes, or does he buy them? Are they heavy?
>
>Thanks again. Just curious, what is Morris Endurance Enterprises?
>Wendy

Gwen Dluehosh
Desert Storm Arabians
1156 Hightop Rd, #89