Re: clipping

Jude Hall (Hall@CC.DENISON.EDU)
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 14:26:40 -0500 (EST)

Linda Flemmer wrote:

>I've ridden a horse when it is in the 20's & 30's (F) out at an endurance
>pace - the horse <will> get hot and sweated. A longer coat will stay
>damp longer, allowing the horse to chill. (It's also a lot more work
>when grooming out.) I agree with you - I prefer not to blanket
>unless it's needed. On the other hand, if I'm going to ride at
>competitive speeds after the coat has come in, I REALLY need to clip!

I often need to ride in the evening right before
dark - if the horse sweats at all you have this
damp coat that isn't going to dry easily overnight!
I don't want them to be chilled. Also, on
weekends, it is often pretty warm in the daytime,
and sweating with the fuzzy coats is a given.

What I find works for me is a "Snip clip" - it
is not as extensive as a trace clip (just the
jugular area, chest, and belly - not up on the
sides like a trace clip). This really helps to
let the heat escape and the horses sweat less,
and the areas with the clipped hair is easy to
dry off. I read that with this clip you really
don't need to blanket, and my horses don't act
as if they are uncomfortable at all. They are
turned out in the daytime and brought in at night.

I usually clip the first part of October, by
the time the snow flies it is grown out enough
not to be bare, but still shorter than the
teddy bear coats they have by then.

I clip again in early Spring.

Jude Hall
in Ohio where the snow might fly a little
tonight :^0