Re: clipping

Alice Steinke (alicest@hcc-uky.campus.mci.net)
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 14:25:07 -0600

This is true. However, I'm a wimp in cold weather. If I ride it's for a
half hour and I cool out but try to finish up so the horse isn't sweaty. If
I see sweat, I back off. I know that the time is coming when this will
change for me and body clipping will be the result. I don't see any point
in doing it until I need to though.

alice
At 02:00 PM 10/31/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Alice,
>
>You wrote:
>> I've been pondering this subject myself. I know that some folks swear by
>> clipping. I'm not one of them. I only blanket if it gets really cold
>> suddenly or there's no shelter or I think it might sleet and they have to be
>> out. I have always found a direct proportion between the amount of time I
>> rideand the heat of the horse when I'm done. If it's cold, my horse probably
>> issn't hot.
>
>I've ridden a horse when it is in the 20's & 30's (F) out at an endurance
>pace - the horse <will> get hot and sweated. A longer coat will stay
>damp longer, allowing the horse to chill. (It's also a lot more work
>when grooming out.) I agree with you - I prefer not to blanket
>unless it's needed. On the other hand, if I'm going to ride at
>competitive speeds after the coat has come in, I REALLY need to clip!
>
>The need for clipping does factor in to whether we want to compete in
>the late fall. I wouldn't wish the job of clipping on to my worst
>enemy! All those itchy little hairs! Worse yet - getting a trace
>clip to look even... a few of those have turned into body clips!
>
>Linda Flemmer
>ABF Challenger ("Rocket") & Eternal Point ("Major")
>Blue Wolf Ranch Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
>
> "In case of emergency - Fur side up, steel side down!"

Alice and Shawn Steinke and Willie (for BP)in
Kentucky (Also Lacie, the honorary dachs, Sandy
the cocker and Turbo{get the Kittie}
Kittie, Willie's personal secretary)
Stand aside you other candidates.
GET A NEW LEASH ON LIFE--WIN WITH ROMMEL AND WILLIE
Chester and Hannah, the wonderful warmbloods