ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] ligament damage

Re: [endurance] ligament damage

Karen Steenhof (ksteenho@eagle.idbsu.edu)
16 Jan 1996 16:38:20 -0700

In <9600158217.AA821725350@ccmail.apldbio.com>, WarholNW wrote:
The horse
> was sound after 2 days but the vet found swelling in the check
> ligament and the deep flexor tendon. We are currently still icing
> until Tuesday (one week) and wrapping with Mineral ice, wet
> handi-wipe, a quilt and a bandage.
> The leg looks good, the horse is sound, and the vet has recommended
> 4-6 weeks off to allow the leg to heal. He also recommended
> taking the horse to Davis where they have a more accurate
> ultrasound and have the leg re-checked.
>
>Has anyone had experience with interior check ligament damage or a
blister >treatment or have any advice regarding this?

Four weeks doesn't sound like a very long time. Years ago, my horse
strained a check ligament. The vet said 2 weeks off. I believe I
gave him 3 weeks, and he promptly tore the ligament in a conditioning
ride in rocky terrain. After that he had 3 months off, and has not
had any problems in the 6 years since. I didn't do much with ice or
wrapping, and the vet recommended that he be turned out in pasture,
not left in a stall.

Karen Steenhof
Boise, Idaho