ridecamp@endurance.net: Re: [endurance] New AERC Membership Fees

Re: [endurance] New AERC Membership Fees

HALL@CC.DENISON.EDU
Thu, 26 Oct 1995 11:39:32 -0400 (EDT)

From: IN%"linda_cowles@MENTORG.COM" 25-OCT-1995 20:52:06.44
To: IN%"endurance@moscow.com"
CC: IN%"linda_cowles@MENTORG.COM"
Subj: [endurance] New AERC Membership Fees

Linda Cowles wrote:

>I received my 1996 AERC Membership Application last night, which reminded
>me to drop a line to y'all to see how everyone feels about the increase
>in the yearly membership rates. Start some dialog.

>Last year, the rate for a Single Renewal was $45, and this year it's $65.
>A significant increase.

>$65 is a lot of money for folks like me to spend for an AERC membership.
Snip snip

You surely did start some dialogue! :^)

I won't be joing AERC. I am only able to compete in 4-6 rides/year, most of
them are not AERC rides...

In my area (Ohio), the Arabian Horse Assocaition of Ohio (AHAO) govern the
rides in the area. They mail out a wonderful packet complete with a ride
schedule, individual ride flyers (including a number from Indiana and
Kentucky). I think there were around 27 rides in the schedule this year.

Very few are AERC rides though. In Ohio, last year there were only 5
that were AERC rides, 3 of which were managed by Teddy Lancaster. Teddy
had plans to move WEST, I'm not sure that her 3 rides will be taken on
by anyone else or not. (Gwen, do you know, did she go?)

I did complete one limited distance AERC ride this Spring, and I was
charged the extra $5.

The remainder of the rides I have to choose from are CTRs. The CTRs
that are governed by AHAO rules are a bit different from NATRC rides.
For instance, there are no obstacles, you are free to use an electric
corral, some have had a horsemanship judge, some didn't.

Anyway, AHAO does a wonderful job with the rides, membership is just $20.
They also have literature to help a novice like myself learn to properly
condition my horse, what to expect on a ride, etc. They also put on a
great seminar/clinic each year which initially got me interested in distance
riding. I had only *heard* of the AERC, never saw any advertising or
helpful info for riders wanting to become involved in the sport.

At my level of competition, and given the opportunities to rides in my
area, there is no way I can spend to join $65 to join AERC. The ride
fees are high enough for my limited budget....

Jude Hall
hall@cc.denison.edu