Re: [RC] Haiti - Don't forget the animals - Diane Trefethen

If you are able, I'm urging you to also make sure to send a little to those who are also trying to help the animals there.

http://action.humanesociety.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=2101.0&dlv_id=0

My first reaction to this was, "You've got to be kidding". Who would spend money helping hungry animals instead of dying people? If you have a few dollars you can send, why wouldn't you use it all to address the highest priority, which isn't hungry dogs?

I don't think I'm being cold. I just believe that you provide food and medicine to people first and then turn your attention to animals. PETA thinks dumb animals are more important than human life but I don't.

My second thought was, "Wait a minute. In all the news footage I've seen, I didn't see one dog or one cat. Why? Ahh... I know. They've all been killed for food by the starving people. Duh." So what animals are we being asked to help? Or is this just a scam to get money?

Then I followed the link in the message
http://action.humanesociety.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=2101.0&dlv_id=0 and read this, "In our short time here, I’ve seen cattle wandering through fields and stray dogs by the roads." So if there are all these cattle wandering around, how come we are being begged to send food and money? My thought is the observer made this up and didn't really see any stray anythings. After all, if you owned a steer in the midst of gun toting, starving people, would YOU let it wander around? Or if the owner of an easily visible steer was dead and your family were starving, would you walk away or kill it for food?

"We are working around the clock to mobilize more teams of responders, to obtain and ship food and supplies, and to coordinate with authorities and other organizations in Haiti. We are doing everything we can to provide immediate support to the animals who survived this disaster..." This is obscene when you realize that hundreds of thousands of people are starving and/or dying. It's so absurd it should be a Saturday Night Live skit, but they probably don't have the balls to voice that kind of raw sarcasm anymore.