[RC] Fwd: ride camp post jigging - stephanie teeter

forwarding a post for Roger-

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Roger G." <texastwist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: January 16, 2010 9:56:13 AM MST
Subject: ride camp post jigging

Jigging
Horses trick us into holding the reins tight to keep them in check when they are full of energy. If you keep them checked all the time this energy is released in the form of jigging. You are always fighting with them through the reins and therefore they fight back by jigging. They trick us into holding contact with their mouth all the time! The trick is to check their speed and then release rein pressure. They will speed up, but you check and release again and again and again and again. Eventually the time between checks will grow longer and longer and longer, which translates into less jigging. It is not an overnight transformation, and periods of relapse happen all the time. What we must guard against is being tricked again into holding tension on the reins all the time.

Horses like to trick us riders into making them jig. Don’t fall for it. Check and release. Horses listen because we get out of their mouths, not because get into them. It is the pressure release that is the reward. Check and release equals less and less jigging.
Similar to half halt work.

Roger  G.