Re: [RC] anyone seen these horse races before? $30K for 1st place - 5 0 miles - Susan

All true.  However, money tends to bring out the idiot and not just the "idiot" in each of us.  Many of us know a little bit about riding a horse at speed over a long distance.  The general equestrian public doesn't know how to rope or jump a horse.  The general equestrian public doesn't have the $$ to purchase a fast enough barrel horse to win back it's purchase price and travel expenses.  But, the general equestrian public has a horse that they know how to ride. Remember Catoosa!!!

Susan Young

--- On Sat, 1/9/10, Renie <windsock75@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Renie <windsock75@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC] anyone seen these horse races before? $30K for 1st place - 5 0 miles
To: "Ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Saturday, January 9, 2010, 10:28 AM

I have to jump in here;  I have seen people trash their horses for a t-shirt, or a piece of paper.  Some of these horses died, some never competed again.  Some are still going.  Many of you are getting upset because there is some $$ involved in this race.   Barrel racers, mounted shooters, 3 day eventers, show jumpers, team ropers, etc. etc. all have prize money, sometimes substancial amounts, or prizes, like a horse trailer. What about the easy boot contests?  I realize this is about the most miles, not speed, but the end result is a monetary prize, just the same.  The speeds that the nationals were run this year were amazing, and there were nice awards for the top riders.  I really doubt they'd have run any faster, or slower, or the amount of finishers and pulls would have been any different had there been money involved. Didn't I hear that sometimes there were wealthy buyers ready to pay a nice big chunk for horses that did well on the Tevis? I don't think 7 hours is an outrageous speed for a 50, but would prefer that she stayed with the AERC rule of 12 hours, and had the ride open to all.  Check out the winning speed of the National championship 50 this year; 4 hours, 20 minutes, the 100 in 9hours 58 min. The old "Race of Champions" that Susan Gibson put on had some darned fancy awards, also. I repeat, offering prize money, in my opinion, will not make this ride any different.  Give the ride manager a chance.  At least she has done some AERC rides, so has some knowledge about rules and horse welfare, not some yahoo that just gets an idea to put on a long distance horse race, but has no clue about endurance or even about horses .
----- Original Message ----- From: <rides2far@xxxxxxxx>