Re: [RC] Endurance Racing with purses - Truman Prevatt

We have had endurance rides with case prizes, Consequin Challenge some years back - 1998 I think it was. This ride raised a lot of controversy at the time - but it went fine. There are special provisions (Rule 11.8 to be exact) in the AERC rules for rides with prizes above a certain cash value. The ROC, for example, one year gave a horse trailer to the winner. This is not new.

What seems to be new is the entry fees paying for the prize money. They are clearly in this to make money.

Truman

Kerry Greear wrote:

I agree with Tom's opinion that we are looking at an evolution in endurance; remember that this ride with purses would not be sanctioned under the AERC because it doesn't fit within the rules.  We do currently have professional endurance riders/owners competing in this sport.  I think an offshoot such as this series of rides has been coming for a long time.

Remember back in the early 1980s that Dave Nicholson's ideas of multi-day rides was met with a lot of negativity (I do believe I'm putting that extremely mildly).

If Leon Self is involved with this race, it will be very well vetted.  He is one of the finest endurance vets and men I have had the fortune to know.  He vetted my Ft. Meade Remount endurance ride for 3 years after my initial recommendation of his services by Jim Baldwin.  I was never disappointed in his actions and I found he was extremely astute about what horses needed just a few more minutes of recovery or slowing and they would finish well.

I met T. Bear at a ride in Utah two years ago and found her nice, fun, a good promoter (she was raising money to help Dave Rabe after his accident), and honest.

I think it is always good to ask questions about new endeavors such as this, but I will never understand why people jump in with such negativity.

--
"Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back

"Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back."  - Paul Erdos