Re: [RC] Idaho - Truman Prevatt

During a period of about two years I spend more time in Southern ID than I want to think about. Our project used INL at Idaho Falls as a test range. I've never been so cold in my life as I was in on test in Dec. I've never been so hot in my life at a test flight in August. Then there was that big rattler that decided to craw under out jeep to get out of the heat and he was bound and determined we were not going to take his shade away. Nothing but rocks, brush and brown - sometimes blowing brown - as far as the eyes could see. I was interesting country. I have to say that it is a place I would characterize as an interesting place to visit - but since my three year stint living in CO showed me that I need moisture, warm weather and green in my environment to be happy - but not to live.

Truman

Lynn White wrote:
In 1985 I came to Idaho alone, without a job, and knew about 2 people in Boise.  My car got wrecked by a drunk and I couldn't go back to Michigan so I've been here pretty much since then.  I started by cleaning houses and ended up with a pretty good job and now own some acreage.  It was NOT easy, but it beats living in crowded places where one has to drive hours to ride.

It took me about ten years to get used to the brown and space of Southern Idaho.  I grew up in dark green and wet Michigan.  The biggest thing I had to get used to was that stretch between June and September when we get those "teaser clouds" that look like they are going to rain and then just spit enough moisture to make everything dirty.  Other times we'll get hail stones that rip screens to shreds.

Idaho is also a culture shock especially for people from the East.  It's kind of hard to describe really.  One just has to live here and experience the subtleties of Idahoans.  It's a poor state and a corrupt state.  Property taxes are low but taxes are based on income.  I've seen people move here, spend a winter here and get the hell out as soon as they can dump their house.

The thing I love about Idaho is that it's like 80% Publicly owned land.  This means that if you see a butte or a canyon  or a trail that sparks your curiousity you can just drive to it without worrying about trespassing.  Idahoans have a HUGE back yard.  On a clear day you can literally see 100+ miles.  I know this because I can see the Owyhees from Jerome if the air is just right.  I'd be loathe to leave this place.

Lynn

--
"Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back

"Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back."  - Paul Erdos