RE: [RC] Manure Supply - Paul

Here in the Ozarks, we mainly rely on our MMDS ( Mobile Manure Distribution Systems)  aka the horses for spreading the manure around. While we do not often have deep snow to contend with, we do have the occasional ice storm.

A couple of weeks ago, I was out feeding on the ice. There was a slight slope where I was feeding, (as opposed to the normal steep slopes we mostly have here), and one of the horses released some manure. It slid about 10-15 feet down the hill on the ice before slithering to a halt. I almost fell over from laughing so hard.. well the ice probably contributed to the falling over part too. I wonder how much further it went downhill as the ice slowly melted over the next few days?

Speaking of manure, we had an event that occurred here a few years back. There was an older gentleman who was well known for being a bit tight about spending money. He needed to leave town for a while and had to board his horse. He kept trying to negotiate a lower price for the board bill. He also wanted to keep the manure for his flower beds. He started out at a place where the quoted price for one months board with free choice hay, grazing, and grain was $350.00 per month. He asked to have the grain removed, but still keep the manure and got the price reduced to $200.00 per month. Then he said the horse was fat enough and really didn't need the hay and asked what the price would be with him still retaining the manure for his flower beds.  Eliminating the hay got him down to $100.00 per month, but he was still trying to get the price lower. So he asked the boarding stable owner about the cost of just putting the horse in a dry lot without pasture, but with him still getting the manure. The stable owner replied that the cost would only be $40.00 per month, but not to worry, because there wouldn't be any manure.

Paul N. Sidio
Spokane MO
Where the septic tank lateral lines are always the first places to green up in the Spring.