[RC] Treating the endurance rider - Far Rider

I am a physician assistant. Two weeks ago I saw an endurance rider who had hurt her wrist when her horse went down in a fall on a training ride. I saw her back today to repeat x-rays and check on her. Her wrist was doing better but we kept her in her splint just to make sure it continues healing. She showed me her legs. She had just done a 50 this weekend and had tender and swollen lower legs. Not exquisitely tender but some mild tenderness. There was a hint of ecchymosis on both legs. She trains regularly and the only things different was that she had worn higher socks(I presumed under her riding pants and half chaps but am not sure) and the ride was a flat sandy ride versus the usual mountain trails that she trains on. I am guessing that what she is experiencing is a bit like shin splints and possibly because with the flat sandy conditions she was going at a somewhat faster pace than training and not changing gaits as often as on the mountain trails she trains on. Any other guesses?