Re: [RC] high heel/low heel, asymmetric shoulder - Truman Prevatt

One of the best leg vets I know of in FL made a comment to someone who was going to "fix" something with shoeing on their 11 year old eventer. The conversation went something like:

vet: Is he lame?
owner: No
vet: why Do you want to change his shoeing?
owner: Someone told me that it might want to correct him.
vet: Has the high/low gotten any more pronounced?
vet: The horse is 11 years old. you have been riding him for 7 years the way he is. All his structures and development have evolved based on his feet the way they are and they have always been like that. The only thing you will do is to first make him sore and the probably make him lame.

However, unless you spawned a parallel universe (one in which you "corrected " it and one where you left it alone) at the time you "fixed" it and were able to observe both (which you could not) you would not know how each universe would turn out.

I think it gets down to if it ain't broke, don't mess with it.

Truman

k s swigart wrote:
Barbara McCrary said:

One of my best endurance horses had a high/low syndrome
and he was fine until farriers tried to "fix" it by wedging shoes,
etc. Eventually he went lame in his later years and I suspect
had we left him alone he would have been fine.
There is no way to tell, from the information presented here, whether the farriers attempts at fixing this horse lengthened or shortened the horse's soundness. It may be that if the horse had been left alone, he would have gone lame sooner than "in his later years."
And I am not sure that there is any way to find out. The causal links between the syndrome, the attempt at fixing it, and the going lame are too tenuous to know whether to know whether the lameness was because of or in spite of the "fix."
kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)

--

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." H. L. Mencken