[RC] Roger R - oddfarm

Roger, I looked at your pictures and at the beginning you stated something along the lines of due to the fact that you couldn't get a quality farrier for shoeing, you were going barefoot.

Nothing wrong with barefeet. However, why don't you look into going to farrier school? I went for a month last year and learned more than any DVD or book could show me.  I was going to be paying $300 or so every 5-6 weeks for just a trim on 9 horses. I have already recovered most of my tuition.

Right now, I am going barefoot as well just because I am not that confidant to shoe by myself. I think once I am better at preparing the foot to begin with, I will do alright shoeing. I have enough horses of my own to practice on and the teachers at school are just a phone call away. I know for some rides, I will need shoes and maybe even some vet-tech for padding.

The cool part about the school I went to was that we learned how to make shoes from bar stock. We learned how to pull clips, weld bar shoes and oh, so much more! We also dissected a cadaver foot which not only showed why we need shoes sometimes but also why it is important to trim properly especially if you are going to keep your horse barefoot.

Money well spent, no doubt.
Lisa Salas, the Oddf aRm