Re: [RC] Injured Horseman lucky to be alive! - Truman Prevatt

First of all you need an HF radio. If you don't have cell service - you don't have repeaters service for line of sight communications so ham radio won't work unless it HF NVIS so you have skywave. Second while a ham license would be nice - it's better to be charge by the FCC (which would be unlikely) than to be dead. HF ALE NVIS would work fine. Go look it up on Google I don't have time to explain it.

I remember the time back in about 1980 when in to her Majesty the Queen my boss didn't want me going on my 7 day backpacking trip in the high country of CO. It seems that he thought I was to important "and democracy as we know it would come to an end" to be out of communications that long. Of course he was an idiot and he ended up getting fired not long after I got back.

I simply told him "I'm not that important and if anything comes up my guys have got it covered. If they don't send the Army in to find me - I'll be withing a 50 mile radius of Aspen." I went - no cell phone, no pager just peace and solitude of the wilderness. My life as I knew it came to an end when I got issued a pager. Today I don't carry a pager. Today I rarely carry a cell phone. When I'm out it is to enjoy nature not to mess with the gadgets that leases us to the fiat of our on demand society. If I die in the peace and solitude of nature - I die happy, unencumbered by the leases of modern society.

Truman

Diane Trefethen wrote:

There are many places where cell service is unavailable but a ham radio would work. Some small, handheld units are not much bigger than a cell phone and weigh around 12 oz.

You need to get a ham license but if you are often in places where cells won't work, it could be a life saver.

--

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." H. L. Mencken