Re: [RC] re: gloves - D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson

Oh, Cindy, I can very well relate to that injury.  And let me tell you it is VERY painful!  My injury was not as extensive as your friend.   I only took one finger down to the bone.  Three issues - 1)  I ignored my cardinal rule NEVER turn you back on a stallion; 2) NEVER turn your back on a stallion; and 3) ALWAYS wear gloves handling spirited horses!  In a fraction of a second, Travelin Trouble was over the top of MY HEAD (yes he jumped me), and started to tear off.

I, like an idiot, tried to hold onto him as he was dragging me on my belly.  I finally felt the finger ripping to the bone and LET GO!  He got to the end of the arena fence and came running back!!!  Now, I pretty much know that is what horses will generally do.  Get to the end of a fence line of some sort, turn, and come back.  Most generally!  All I knew he was a stallion and I didn't want to worry about him jumping the fence into the pasture of mares.  That pasture was a 15 acre pasture that wrapped around a mountain with an elevation from 250' to 575' with 20 mares!  Someone caught him and turned him into his paddock.  As I sat and assessed the damage.

It took over 3 months for that finger to grow back tissue and heal.  And it did alter my fingerprints.  I recently had finger prints taken for a job.  They didn't match up to my finger prints on record!  Nine of the ten did.  Had to redo them!  Then I remembered the incident!  LOL!

WEAR GLOVES!   Unless you want to alter your finger prints!

D'Arcy