RE: [RC] Question: Getting Ready for Tevis - Maryben Stover

It's 1/3 rider, 1/3 horse and 75% luck.  Yeah, I know it does not add up.  I loaned two of my horses to the Italian riders a while back.  One had actually done a 50 but the other had never ridden more than 30 miles in his life.  I did not know that until 1/2 way through the ride.  Neither one of my horses had ever done a 100.  They all finished.

I loaned Rushcreek Q-Ball to Julie for her 20th attempt and Q-Ball had never done a 100.  She finished too.

I am not sure that I would every try this again.  I have used up my 75% of luck on Tevis.........mb

From: sherman@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Question: Getting Ready for Tevis
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 17:04:15 -0800

I think if you are able to condition and train on similar terrain, and you and your horse are fully prepared, it is doable as a first 100. That doesn't mean you'll complete, since both new and experienced Tevis riders all seem to have about a 50% chance of completing each time they enter, with some notable exceptions.  The riders who participated in the Tevis Educational Ride had a higher completion rate this year too.

My viewpoint is probably skewed since I live in the area and the only reason I started doing endurance riding was to prepare for Tevis. I have attempted a couple other 100s now and still don't think Tevis was not a good choice for a first 100 even though it took 3 times to complete. I think it is important to find out everything you can about the ride contact  mentor/riders who have completed it multiple times (AERC has a mentor list, some of them have and are more than happy to help), study the trail and elevation charts, make a plan, be flexible, know your horse and listen closely, don't enter if anything is even just slightly "not quite right" and don't take a fatigued horse to the start line.

Many of the riders at Tevis are crazy though, so Jody will fit right in!

Kathy

I would recommend that the Tevis not be your first 100. Second if Jody is there stay away from her, she's crazy ;-) !

Truman

Chat with Messenger straight from your Hotmail inbox. Check it out