[RC] Strappers vs Strippers - Jay Randle

Hi All

Here in Australia, instead of using the word "crew" to describe those people who do everything else except the riding, we use the word "strappers".  Strappers (of which I am one of the best) are well-respected, and an intregal part of the whole endurance riding experience.

In New Zealand, where the English language is slaughtered by a population of kiwi-eating, sheep-loving natives, the word "strapper" becomes convoluted and mis-pronounced into "stripper", causing some confusion, a lot of angst, and sometimes even a disproportionate amount of eagerness among male International endurance riding visitors to that country.

The Kiwi population seem to get some of their vowels mixed up, substituting 'i' for 'a' and/or 'e', 'e' for 'i', and 'u' for 'a'.  Learning and understanding the Kiwi language can be very confusing!

There are also some other bastardizations of the English language that confuse the average visitor, including "Fesh und Cheps", "Chickin" (translation: Check In), "Sex" (translation: Six), and even "Nu Zihlund"!

The highlight of my last trip to NZ was hearing someone ordering fish and chips for six strappers!

When planning your trip to the Antipodes, make sure that you come Down Under, and not to the Land of the Long White Cloud.  You will be spared the anguish of learning a whole new language!

Best regards

Jay Randle
SPLENDACREST ENDURANCE TRAINING
www.freewebs.com/splendacrest

View photos of singles in your area! Looking for a date?