Re: [RC] FEI president Princess Haya defends controversial dr... - Elizabeth Walker

It is pretty sad - I agree.

I do think that there are some things that are "performance restoring" - Adequan comes to mind.  I will also agree that there are some cases where a low level of bute or other NSAID will not cause any harm ... the horse is a little muscle-sore or something.  However, that is the top of a really slippery slope, and the potential for abuse is just way too large.

People spend a large amount of it to prepare a horse for this level of competition, plus entry fees, transportation, support crew, etc.  Most of these nations don't do this with volunteers - they pay salaries.  Call me cynical - I think that the folks who want these substances allowed are already trying to (or are) competing on drugs.   IMO, they are finding that the risk of being *caught* has gotten too high.  So -- change the drug rules.