[RC] Trens Tesmen (Translation: Trans Tasman) Part 3 - Jay Randle

"The Pressure Cooker"

Saturday night we were treated to dinner at the woolshed and a pre ride
briefing.For those of you that have never been in a woolshed you can smell
sheep.Very strong smell of sheep and the timber floorboards were well oiled with
sheep grease.(I think it's called lanoline but I like to say sheep grease).What
else would you expect to eat in NZ other than sheep and deer.I had both and made
sure that I had at least a small serve of salad even if I just wanted to eat
more venison.
Derek made a short speech and so did his Kiwi counterpart Chris King.The pre
ride talk was oh so short and sweet.They basically said get on your horse and
follow the markers.Very refreshing to not feel like you need a pillow for pre
ride.
Tracks in NZ are not marked with arrows but rather roadside posts.You know like
the reflective guide posts on the side of the road.There are few trees in the
paddocks to attach an arrow to.Also they use milk containers painted fluro
orange.There are very few gatesitters and many,many gates so the riders have to
open and close the gates themselves.I can just imagine how we would whinge if we
had to stop every 2k to open a gate whilst our competition caught us up and then
hold the gate open for them whilst they wait for you to close it again.A good
system in many ways and not so good in others.
So back to the hotel for some shut eye dissapointed that I didn't get to
eyeball the opposition strippers (strappers) as they did the Haka.I think we
should make an official request for a Haka when they arrive here next time.Derek
has a Haka joke that I'm sure he'll tell you if you ask
Up early for the short drive to ridebase and time to saddle the steeds for
ride start.A daylight start at 6am which saw all riders happy as and off up the
sheep covered hill and over the top not to be seen again for around two hours.
I should explain now for those that don't know how the crewing system works on
the squad.The rider is of course responsible for all on track.Once the rider
returns the horse is handed over to the stripper who is then responsible for all
decisions thereafter.The groom strips the horse,trots the horse out,returns the
horse to the yard,feeds the horse,re saddles the horse and presents the reigns
back to the rider who is seated upon a goose down throne asking for more grapes
and wine.You must at this point remind them that it is important that they
remount their freshly stripped steed and join the throngs of competative riding
again.Strippers could also be called the riders "bitch".
So first leg was 30k.I had expected Tarni to do just under 2 hours.There was a
stripper call at 3k from base.It was a big call with from memory 18 horses
coming in together.Guess you can blame the gates for the traffic jam.
Now this is where it becomes interesting as the stripper.We didn't know our
horses much at all and from looking at the logbooks we had a reasonable idea of
how they pulsed.Rios is a very pushy,arrogant horse who really isn't much
interested in standing still or being polite.He throws you around like a rag
doll and the more you give him back the more he fights you.Off with the saddle,a
quick wipe on the neck and we went straight in at 68 after he came in at 72.It
really was a punt at that stage and by the time we got to the vet he was 64 with
a CRI of 60.So we were 1st in and 1st out.Great result.All of our horses made it
through the first vet check and really the difference in times was of no
consequence at that early stage.One of the other Kiwi juniors was only 30
seconds behind Tarni.
The second leg was again 30k although travelling a different direction.All
of our horses looked great heading out and they came in a little more spread out
this time.Little did we know that one of the fellowship was about to fall.Who
fell?You will have to tune in for the next thrilling installment and see.

Head to the Daily Blob on Windows Live For more of what happens online