From: Dawn Carrie <rdcarrie@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Lori Bertolucci <loribertolucci@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ridecamp <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; enduranceopen <theenduranceopen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, November 24, 2009 8:36:56 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] New FEI drug rule...question about placings at a ride

<<If, at a ride that is sanctioned for both FEI and AERC, there is an FEI/AERC rider that is allowed to use drugs and does, and an AERC/only rider that cannot use drugs, and they come in 1st and 2nd, in that order, who is actually the winner?>>

I'd guess that they'd be placed in the order they finished, unless that ride was selected for random drug testing, and the FEI horse was randomly selected.  But - since the FEI rider is allowed to use drugs, could the AERC rider request that the horse be drug-tested?  If it tested positive, the FEI rider would still be first FEI, but would be DQed from the AERC ride.  It just seems that with FEI allowing drugs, this opens up a whole can of worms for dual sanctioned rides with mixed fields of riders (some riding FEI/AERC and some riding AERC only.  The AERC only riders would be wondering if the FEI/AERC rider(s) who finished ahead of them were riding drugged horses.

I wonder...if the ride is dual sanctioned with AERC, could the AERC rules over-rule the FEI rules, and thus no drugs be allowed?  That is, in the US, FEI riders couldn't use drugs?

Dawn Carrie, Texas