From: Judy Etheridge <misxfire@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Quicksilver Riders <QSEndurance@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri, Nov 20, 2009 9:20 am
Subject: [QSEndurance] Fw: Mundane as it Sounds, Manure Management

Hi All,

This is a really important message for all who trailer their horses to public trailheads.  I used to just toss the manure in the weeds but I got chewed out by the horse rent string operator, rightly so, here at Sunol Regional Park for doing that so that now I put any manure back in the trailer for a short trip home or put it in a plastic garbage bag and put that in the tack room for the longer trips.  I have been to many, many parks and seen old and sometimes new manure in the horse trailer parking areas--not a pretty sight even to a horse lover.

Best,

Judy Etheridge

        Hello, All,
This email list was originally intended to be an emergency contact link to multiple equestrians in a time of need. I haven't forgotten that. This message is not an imminent emergency, but believe me, if you do not already know about this, you will soon agree this is an emergency that we need to address soon and with emphasis.
I have worked with State Parks, with the Point Reyes National Seashore, with GGNRA, with the Marin Watershed (26,000 acres) as well as, to a lesser degree, our local Open Space District. Among the various issues we are addressing, at or very near the top of their list, is manure management. With the Point Reyes and GGNRA 20 year General Management Plans on the horizon, we need to be paying attention.
I will spare you the detail, save to tell you that if we as responsible equestrians do not
1) clean up after our horses in parking and staging areas shared with others
2) consider providing manure bunkers in appropriate places which means continuously servicing of those bunkers (hiring people to cleaning them out, loading the manure onto trucks, trucking the manure to disposal sites and paying for same)
3) taking the manure away in our trailers if necessary and disposing of the manure at our host barns
4) at least spreading the manure in areas which are reserved for horse trailer parking
if we continue to ignore these issues, then we are bound for trouble, not bound for glory.
This subject comes up repeatedly, including this past Tuesday evening at the GGNRA Open House at Fort Barry, SF.  I am pleading with you to get the word out through your newsletters, word of mouth, notices on barn bulletin boards, through you email blasts, and any other way you can imagine, that we need to address this now. If you or I come to a horse staging area and the manure is where the last rider left it, at least get the rake out and spread it. This is no longer an acceptable signature.
Also, as a closer, the complaints are not coming from metropolitan areas only. We have all parked in rural and back country staging areas only to find the place(s) covered with abandoned manure. This practice has to stop. The arbitrary reactions are soon to pose greater problems than we care to address if we do not police ourselves.
With all the warmest greetings I can send for a Happy Holiday Season…..
Sandy Greenblat

.