RE: [RC] Here is to hoping it is not (was AERC/FEI) - EnduroGal

“…how many rides would all of you be able to attend if it cost you $500 each ride? can I see a show of hands?:)”

I’ll definitely take up competitive knitting.  … Or maybe even mud wrestling…I hear there’s money to be made there!  ;-))

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sandy Adams
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 10:27 AM
To: Ridecamp Alexandria
Subject: Re: [RC] Here is to hoping it is not (was AERC/FEI)

Just curious - what is the percentage of riders - members and non-members - who actually compete in international-level endurance? To grow this kind of event by necessity HAS to come at the expense of a similar number of AERC-"only" events. Is AERC willing to remove those events and opportunities for what has to be a significantly higher percentage of riders in order to provide a competition platform for dual sanctioned riders? If they are, they can prepare to lose a huge % of their funding as well. Simple math. If elimination of even 50% of it ridership (and I would think it would be more - Bruce, any approximations?) results, the $$ coming in to AERC in both renewals, drug fees  and rider fees would PROBABLY drop dramatically. Someone with figures check this - I don't know - just an assumption based on %. Not sure which email but one comment was that it is perhaps timely for FEI now to separate itself from AERC, promote its own ridership and events under the auspices of USEF - much more logical than AERC, which is after all a USA organization formed to promote distance riding, not necessarily international racing.

The fact is that the fee of this ride alone eliminates effectively a HUGE percentage of "AERC ONLY" riders. If at some point AERC allows most AERC events to  be dual sanctioned and set this kind of fee, I would extrapolate that at those events, ridership would also drop considerably. At the very least, more riders would attend fewer rides - FAR fewer rides. The indication below that this is "one of the smartest things AERC.... has done... to address.... few riders who want to do the FEI thing" in clear indication that the NEED for "FEI only competition" is a small minority. So my question for its proponents would be - then why would it be good to commit more events to this format? If I want a girl's chorus, it makes no sense to audition boys. If I want a mixed CHORUS, I STILL would be auditioning girls, in fact, more of them to balance the chorus. If I don't I don't have a mixed chorus. By effectively reducing the availability to the rank and file - or as someone else said - bread and butter - riders, aERC income drops - and we end up with a boys chorus:). Nothing wrong with a boys chorus - unless the intend was a mixed chorus - or a girls' chorus.

In the end, most rider, while glad that FEI riders get to do their thing too, are not interested in losing riding opportunities to provide this. If, as Kat promotes, it would be good if more rides went this way, a huge number of us are priced right out of the sport. I know where WE stand - but how many rides would all of you be able to attend if it cost you $500 each ride? can I see a show of hands?:)