[RC] FEI vs AERC - Leonard.Liesens

Title: FEI vs AERC

Hi,

I read some of the post concerning FEI vs AERC rides.

Let me just express the opinion of a european rider.

1. All our rides here in Europe are FEI. Most are 75 miles... I should say were because now with the new qualification system of the FEI, we need also to set up CEI* (80..100km) to get our horses qualified. On the 75miles population, 20% have a 100miles at the same time.

2. setting up JUST A  CEI* costs in Belgium (or France) 2,000 additional euros (roughly 3,000 US$), because of the registration fees at the FEI (plus cost for doping control), plus cost of one foreign VET

3. setting up a CEI*** is a budget of 15,000 euros as a minimum : temporary satbles to rent and set-up, foreign deledate and foreign vets, officials who have to receive accomodation and transportation allowance. Our Worldcup for veterans 130km has a budget of 15000 euros; but the CEIO of Mont Le Soie has a budget of 30000 euros.
For Mont le Soie CEIO, entry fees were : 250euros for 160km, 200euros for 120km, 180euros for 100km CEI*

It is impossible in this case for a ride organizer to make profit. The only way to come into balance is recuiting sponsors. And with the crisis and all marketing budget going to the bottom, it is difficult to collect money.

4. I can't say how much it cost to set up a ride like COmpiegne but it must be a lot more, I would guess 150K euros as a minimum.
Entry fees in Compiegne are 500 euros for the CEIO 160km (this includes 2 dinner and 3 breakfast and a bottle of champagne).

5. european riders are not wealthy people; the professionals (mostly working for Sh Mohammed, Bahrain, Qatar) are well paid for their services, so for them no problem. Many others (I would say 60% of the CEI riders) have to pay attention to the costs involved. Now more and more are reluctant to cover more than 1000km for going to a ride.

6. oh yeahhh... entry fees for a 80km (50miles) national (like your AERC) costs us 25 euros (37 dollars) in Belgium.

Leonard, www.endurance-belgium.com