[RC] Telling Stories In Moab - Kevin Myers

Moab has long been used as a location for films, TV programs and commercials: many of John Wayne’s movies were filmed there. You can see some of Moab’s majestic vistas in Rio Grande; The Comancheros; Cheyenne Autumn; The Greatest Story Ever Told; Once Upon a Time in the West; Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade; and Thelma & Louise. Moab was also used as a backdrop for images in the Marlboro Man campaign.

The third annual Moab Canyonlands Endurance Ride was hosted very capably last weekend by Sheri Griffith and her plucky team of volunteers.  A winter storm kept many of us away for the first day of the three day ride, bringing the number of riders on the first day down from the 135 who had pre-registered to less than 100.

As Julia Lynn pointed out during our 19 hours in the saddle together over the two days, endurance is like several sports all in one. Not everyone has the same goal; some of the riders are out there to savor the miles and use every hour allotted to complete the course. I was one such rider this weekend: the scenery deserved all the attention it could get. I enjoyed being witness to some stories from some of the high mileage riders at the back of the pack.

More