Re: [RC] CRI question - Katrina Mosshammer

It is 250 feet total, so 125 feet out and 125 feet back.

Katrina Mosshammer (AERC # 5763)

"Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that curiosity killed the cat, I say only that the cat died nobly." - Arnold Edinborough

From the control judge handbook:

The Cardiac Recovery Index: The ability of the horse's circulatory system to accommodate the level of exertion experienced
at the event is monitored by use of the Cardiac Recovery Index (CRI). The CRI may be performed at all control checkpoints
at endurance rides, including the finish line control check. The horse is not presented until it has met recovery criteria established
for that ride, usually of 64 bpm or less. The horse is then presented to the control judge, and a resting heart rate is taken. Then
the horse is trotted 125 feet out and 125 feet back.
(The gait can be observed during the jog out for soundness and impulsion.)
At exactly one minute from the time the horse started the 250 foot trot out, the heart rate is taken again. Most horses complete
the trot out within 25-30 seconds, allowing the horse to stand quietly for the remainder of the minute. (For a horse that does not
object to being handled, the control judge can initiate evaluation of the metabolic parameters during the remainder of the minute.)
A horse that is demonstrating adequate metabolic compensation should recover to the same resting heart rate taken before the
250 foot trot out, or preferably to a heart rate of four bpm less than the starting rate. If the heart rate elevates during the CRI,
the horse should be asked to return for a recheck CRI within 10-15 minutes to monitor for progressive recovery. The control judge
should take a second look at all metabolic parameters at that time, including a second CRI. The CRI is not necessarily used to
eliminate a horse from competition; the entire clinical picture is used to assess the ability of a horse to continue in
the event.